Transition Year is a compulsory one year programme. It provides a bridge to enable students make the transition from Junior to Senior Cycle. It encourages personal and social development and recognises the need for students to grow in independence. Research shows that students who take TY obtain higher CAO points on average than those who don't.
Students who participate most enthusiastically tend to benefit most from the year. The programme includes the following:
· Study of basic subjects to provide a foundation for Leaving Certificate work
· Taste of Business and Science subjects to help with subject choice for 5th year.
· Study of non-exam, hobby type subjects e.g. Gardening, Hair & Beauty
· Life Skills e.g. Personal Development, Social Education, ICT, exposure to a wide range of opinions and experiences
· Development of personal initiative e.g. Enterprise, fund-raising for charity, fund-raising for school musical
· Development of poise and confidence e.g. Speech & Drama, participation in school musical
Coding - New
Food Science/Hair and Beauty/Art
Speech and Drama
Politics - New